Some things are just too big to be moved by an ordinary vehicle. If you’re considering investing in heavy haul services in Apex, here are some things to know before giving us a call.
What Constitutes Heavy Haul Freight?
The federal government allows each state to set its own regulations for what constitutes an oversize load. Generally, they are classified as items which exceed a:
- Width of 8.6 feet
- Height of 13.6 feet
- Length of 48 to 53 feet
- Gross weight of 80,000 pounds
Common heavy haul cargo includes excavators, bulldozers, pavers, forklifts, cranes, military equipment, mining equipment, turbines, transformers, generators, and boilers. Even mobile homes and airplanes can be transported on a heavy haul trailer!
What are Axle Restrictions for Heavy Hauling?
Federal law also regulates the amount of weight that can be carried on an axle.
- Steer axles may carry no more than 12,000 pounds
- Single axles may carry no more than 20,000 pounds
- Drive axles may carry no more than 34,000 pounds
- Tandem axles may carry no more than 34,000 pounds
If your cargo exceeds these weight restrictions, your heavy haul company will use a trailer with more axles. To do otherwise would not only risk fines and litigation, but put people (and your cargo) at risk for a dangerous accident!
What Permits Are Required for Heavy Hauling?
This is mainly the concern of your heavy haul company, which will secure the necessary permits for you. But, just so you are aware of the process, below is more information about oversize load permits:
- Permits are issued by individual states on a per-shipment basis
- Some cities, counties and municipalities require permits as well
- Most permits outline the amount of time the oversized freight may travel (usually 3-5 days)
- Many states regulate the timeframe in which the freight may travel (only certain hours during the week or weekend)
- Certain cargo may require its own designated permit, as well (for instance, farm equipment)
- Winter travel may require additional limitations and permits
Before moving your shipment, talk with your carrier to learn the guidelines of the states in which your product will travel, and ensure you have all the proper permits you’ll need.
Book Your Heavy Haul Shipment with Active Machinery
Not only does Active Machinery provide a wide range of fabrication equipment, we also transport it, too! To book a shipment, or for more information about our services, contact us here.